Host Family: Terms & Conditions
1. Homestay families that host more than one student must ensure they speak different languages unless there is a special request otherwise. As an extension of Tamwood’s English Only Policy, students living with the same homestay family must not speak the same mother tongue, unless approved by the Homestay.
2. The homestay family must provide the student with a private bedroom, furnished with a bed, bedroom and bathroom linen, a desk, a dresser, a closet or armoire, a window, sufficient heating and lighting, and access to laundry facilities and Internet.
3. Homestay families must not accept a student from Tamwood if there are plans or an intention to be away for a period longer than one week. For vacations or other absences of one week or less, homestay families must advise the Homestay Department of the intended absence and arrange for a substitute to occupy the homestay home and provide meals.
4. If a student or family wants to change their homestay arrangement for any relevant reason within the first week of the student’s arrival, either party has the option of terminating the homestay without giving two weeks. Payment will be pro‐rated based on the number of nights the student stays with the family.
5. In a case where a student and family are unable to reconcile differences and cannot live comfortably together, the student will be placed with a new homestay family at no extra cost to the student. Upon relocation, if the homestay fee has been paid in advance, the homestay family agrees for the difference to be deducted from the next payment.
6. If a student wishes to extend the homestay, the student is responsible for making payment directly to Tamwood, which will then process the payment and continue the payment schedule to the homestay family. Tamwood is not responsible for extension payments until the student has paid Tamwood. It is the homestay family’s responsibility to verify with the Homestay Department that the student has made extension payments. The homestay family agrees with Tamwood that it will not enter into any direct payment agreement with any Tamwood student.
7. Homestay payments are processed on the 25th of each month—for every night in that particular month.
8. Tamwood is not responsible for any expenses that the homestay family may incur as a result of the student living with them, such as expenses for long-distance calls that the student may make. The homestay family is responsible for making the proper arrangements for payment of any such expenses directly with the student soon after his/her arrival.
9. Tamwood is not responsible for any student’s wrongdoings or misconduct, or any damages or loss caused by a student.
10. It is recommended that all homestay families hold valid homeowner’s or tenant’s insurance to cover any loss suffered or caused by a student. Please note that your insurance does not automatically cover students’ belongings that may go missing. It is recommended that homestay families speak to students about obtaining their own insurance for their personal goods. It is also recommended that homestay families carry adequate auto insurance in the event a family vehicle is used to transport students.
11. Tamwood requires Hosts to submit Criminal Record Checks for household members over 18 years of age.
12. Tamwood does not perform a background check on students, therefore Tamwood does not guarantee or warranty the suitability of the student for a homestay placement.
13. If a student changes homestay families and the new homestay family picks up the student at his/her original homestay home, the new homestay family will not be paid for this. Homestay families will only be paid the airport fee for airport service authorized by the Homestay Department.
14. Host Families are responsible for advising Tamwood College immediately in writing of any material changes in their profile, including such changes as, people living in the house, physical changes to the property during renovations, and changes to employment status.
It is imperative that our homestay hosts see the importance of the above terms and conditions.
Failure to respect the following Tamwood standards and policies will result in being terminated as a homestay host.
• Not following the English Language Policy
• Taking payments from students privately (homestay fees, charge for laundry soap, internet use, etc).
• Overbooking students and frequent last-minute cancellations
• Harassment of student – verbal, emotional, sexual, physical, etc.
• Use of illegal substances or severe intoxication of alcohol
• Theft of student property
• Unkempt/unhygienic house
• Unhealthy or inadequate meals being served consistently
• Severe personality conflicts or cultural conflict