English Preparation for Canadian Ski/Snowboard Instructor Certificate
Do you have dreams of becoming a ski/snowboard instructor? Dreams of riding through the famous Canadian Rockies around Banff National Park or at the first-class ski resort just north of Vancouver—Whistler Blackcomb? We can help improve your English skills to make this dream come true!
This program is focused on improving your English language skills for teaching and is designed to prepare you for the Canadian Ski Instructors’ Alliance Level 1 exam or the Canadian Association of Snowboard Instructors Level 1 exam. You are expected to have high intermediate or advanced ski/snowboard abilities prior to enrolling for this course.
Passing the exam means you will be qualified to teach skiing or snowboarding anywhere in Canada and in many countries around the world. The snow-capped mountains and powder slopes of Canada are waiting for you!
You should take this course if:
- • Your level is between intermediate and advanced
- • You want to improve your overall fluency for daily usage
- • You want to combine your English learning with an exciting chance to become a ski and/or snowboard instructor in Canada
- • You want to pass the 3-day Level 1 ski instructor and/or 3-day Level 1 snowboard training exam
- • You are ready to benefit from a strictly English-speaking environment (in-school and outside)
Basic 20 (20 lessons per week)
Ideal for students who want to learn all the essential English language skills while having time to enjoy all the on-mountain activities including skiing, snowboarding, and biking, available in Whistler.
Essential English Skills Class (All Courses, Levels 2-7)
In this class, you will learn and practice all the skills you need to understand and communicate in English including listening, speaking, reading, writing, pronunciation, vocabulary, idioms, and grammar. You will also learn the common phrases and expressions that native speakers use.
Special Afternoon Seminars (5 lessons per week)
Students in this program will take special afternoon seminars on the mountain or in the classroom to teach the specialized English vocabulary needed for work as a ski or snowboard instructor and to prepare for the exam.
3-Day Level 1 Ski/Snowboard Training
Students will be required to complete an exam at the end of the course. Please note, exam fees are not included in the program fees.
From this program, you will…
- • Gain fluency and confidence in using English for the Level 1 ski or snowboard instructor training and exam
- • Enlarge your vocabulary, specifically for work as a ski or snowboard instructor
- • Increase your reading speed and comprehension
- • Learn the correct usage of English grammar in writing and speaking
- • Try out as many winter activities as you want (skiing, snowboarding, snow tubing, snowshoeing, winter hiking, and more.)
- • Enhance your self-esteem, independence, and organizing ability
- • Make new international friends and develop intercultural awareness
- • Experience the North American culture firsthand and especially the Whistler mountain landscape
- • Have an amazing international experience!
Certificates will be awarded upon successful completion of studies.
$1,500 CAD for three weeks
This includes 2 weeks of General English classes and 1 week of intensive ski/snowboard instructor preparation classes.* Optional add-ons include accommodation, airport transfers, and health insurance.
Get a price quote now by clicking the button at the bottom of the page or talk to one of our consultants for more information about each course.
*Exam fees are not included.
Age: Minimum 16 Years, no maximum
English Level: Intermediate to Advanced (Tamwood Level 4 or Higher)*. You should be open to learning in an intercultural environment and motivated to use English with your teachers and peers. The language of instruction will be English only but staff are available for most common languages.
Ski/Snowboard Skills: Must be able to demonstrate comfortable and safe skiing/snowboarding skills on intermediate terrain and ski a strong basic parallel turn.
Documents: You must have a valid passport and be eligible to enter Canada as a tourist or as a student. For up to 6 months, you will need either a tourist visa, an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), or in some cases, only your passport. For a program duration of longer than 6 months, you will have to apply for a study permit. Check with travel authorization you need here or get in touch with one of our consultants.
*Students will take a written and speaking test on their first day for suitable placement in classes.
English Acceleration Workshops (Toronto & Vancouver):
Every Friday afternoon you can participate in free interactive workshops designed to help you learn more quickly and improve your English knowledge and skills.
Workshop topics include:
✓ Back to basics
✓ Canadian Culture
✓ Confusing Words
✓ English Through Songs
✓ English Through TV
✓ Fun with Vocabulary
✓ Grammar Fun
✓ Power Speaking 1 & 2
✓ Pronunciation Practice
✓ Read & Discuss
✓ What does that say
If you study at Tamwood for more than 4 weeks, you can use our free personal coaching service. A teacher will work with you 1-on-1 to focus on your goals and help make a plan to achieve them through practice and exercises that you can do outside of class.
If you want to have housing arranged pre-departure for either the whole duration of your course or only the beginning, then you can book high-quality accommodation through Tamwood, view our price list here or get a quote by clicking the button at the bottom of this page.
- • Carefully screened, English-speaking homestay families
- • Fully furnished private rooms with either private or shared bathrooms
- • Three meal options: Full-Board (breakfast, lunch, and dinner), Half-Board (breakfast and dinner), No Meals
- • High-speed wireless internet and laundry facilities available
- • Fully furnished shared or private bedrooms
- • Shared or private bathrooms
- • Fully equipped kitchens
- • Self-catering
- • High-speed wireless internet in each room and common area
- • Laundry facilities on-site
- • Central locations
Tamwood offers exciting experiences outside the classroom to help you discover Canada. Enjoy fun activities in and around Vancouver, Whistler, and Toronto with your new friends from around the world. You’ll take part in social events, sports and activities, sightseeing, spectator sports, cultural experiences, shopping, and dining.
Activities vary by campus and by week and may include:
Food & Fun
Festivals & Holidays
& Many More!
Students who want to improve their leadership skills can volunteer to become a Tamwood Ranger and help to lead Tamwood activities.