ESL Pathway (English Pathway)
Want to study at a North American university or college? We can help you get there! Secure a spot at a university or college of your choice by enhancing your English language skills. Students who take the ESL Pathway program (or so called university pathway program) will be prepared for successful studies in post-secondary institutions.
Tamwood Language students who want to further their international education at a Canadian or American college or university have the option to apply to one of our pathway partners for admission without a language proficiency proof.
You should take this course if:
- • You want to gain admission to a North American university or college without taking a language test
- • You want to have more university/college and career options
- • You want to improve your overall English fluency for academic or professional purposes
- • You are ready to benefit from a strictly English-speaking environment – in school and outside
Duration: 8 weeks (28 lessons/week)
Outcome: High Intermediate Academic English
Entry Requirement: Tamwood English Assessment Test into EAP 192, or evidence of any test score equivalent to IELTS 5.0 (subscores in reading and writing must be 5.0, subscores in listening and speaking must be no lower than 4.5).
Duration: 8 weeks (28 lessons/week)
Outcome: Low Advanced Academic English
Entry Requirement: Tamwood English Assessment Test into EAP 193, completion of EAP 192 with minimum 70% – or evidence of any test score equivalent to IELTS 5.5 (subscores in writing and reading must be 5.5; subscores in listening and speaking must be no lower than 5.0).
Duration: 8 weeks (28 lessons/week)
Outcome: University Pathway English
Entry Requirement: Tamwood English Assessment Test into EAP 194, completion of EAP 193 with minimum 70% or evidence of any test score equivalent to IELTS 6.0 (subscores in writing and reading must be 6.0; subscores in listening and speaking must be no lower than 5.5).
English Pathway Program Outcomes
From this program, you will…
- • Secure conditional admission to partner institution (upon completion of English pathway program)
- • Gain fluency and confidence in using English in an academic setting
- • Enlarge your vocabulary and improve your communication skills
- • Learn English skills for written communication and oral presentations
- • Gain the skills to succeed in high education
- • Enhance your self-esteem, confidence, and organizing ability
- • Make new international friends and develop intercultural awareness
- • Experience the North American culture firsthand
- • Have an amazing international experience!
A certificate will be awarded upon successful completion of studies. Students can use Tamwood certificate as proof of English for any of our partner institutions.
Progress at a rate of one level every 8 weeks. How? Find out more about our Tamwood Learning Guarantee.
English Pathway Program Partners
Tamwood has English pathway agreements with many Canadian Universities and Colleges, some of which include an IELTS waiver. Our partner institutions recognize the value of the training students get in this program at Tamwood and view our students as more likely to succeed in their formal studies as a result.
For a full list of English university Pathway partners, click here.
What Tamwood ESL Pathway Students Are Saying?
“I liked Pathway program, because it is very useful for future studies at the college and the course is well explained by a professional teacher. I chose Tamwood Pathway program, because it was the most attractive option.”
Alex, EAP 194 class
Pathway to Georgian College
“I love the course, I never imagined that was so nice and increasingly doing lessons online! The instructor is very lovely and at the same time professional, I can’t wait until the end of the day (for me) to join the class!“
Camilla, EAP 193 class
Pathway to LaSalle College
Starting from $175 CAD per week
Optional add-ons include accommodation, airport transfers, and health insurance.
Get a price quote now by clicking the button at the bottom of this page or talk to one of our consultants for more information about each course.
Age: Minimum 17 years (at the time of graduation)
English Level: Beginner to Advanced. Students with Beginner – Pre-Intermediate level will start with General English classes to improve their overall level of English. Intermediate level students will start intensive academic English preparation until they complete the required level for entry to their college or university of choice.
You should be open to learning in an intercultural environment and motivated to use English with your teachers and peers. The language of instruction will be in English only but staff are available for most common languages.
Documents: You must have a valid passport and be eligible to enter Canada as a tourist or as a student. We highly recommend applying for a study permit. You will receive a Letter of Acceptance (LOA) from Tamwood to submit with your visa application.
ESL Pathway Program Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can I hold my place in a college or university using Pathway program?
Pathway program let you apply to Tamwood partner institution and use a booking confirmation as a proof of English. You still need to meet other requirements and pay a deposit in order to hold your seat at the college/university program.
How long is a pathway program?
You will need to take our free English test to evaluate your level and receive a quote for a pathway program in Canada. One level is 8 weeks. For example, if your level is High Intermediate and you choose Georgian College program, you need to complete EAP 194 pathway program level. So, you need to book 2 levels, which is 16 weeks.
Why choose Pathway program, when Tamwood offers General English or IELTS preparation course?
Tamwood Pathway Program designed to prepare students for future studies in Canadian colleges or universities. IELTS course helps to prepare for the exam, and General English course focused on developing general English skills for daily use. Pathway program is very intensive and focused on academic writing skills, presentation skills, group work and self-studies. As a result, Tamwood students are ready to study in a post-secondary institution and do not need to spend extra time for struggling with English.
Can I use General English or IELTS preparation courses as a proof of English for Tamwood Pathway partners?
Unfortunately, no. Tamwood Pathway program designed for academic success, and our partners approved particular levels to meet their English requirements. Students must take Pathway program and successfully complete required level in order to waive English requirements.
Do I need to pay extra for help with my application to Tamwood Pathway partner?
No, our service is free for Tamwood students. It includes help with a program choice, application process and any additional support you may need.
- • Free English assessment
- • Free initial appointment with Pathway Department to choose the best program
- • Preparation of a personalized program list with information about available programs and institutions in Canada
- • Continuous help with admissions to one of our pathway partners, including document evaluation, processing and tracking of the application etc.
- • Personal one-to-one coaching to focus on English goals and help with making a plan to achieve them through practice and exercises that can be done outside of class
- • Educational fairs and workshops such as in-house fairs, webinars, information sessions, campus tours etc. to introduce students to Tamwood partner institutions
- • Free visa and immigration information sessions with a certified immigration consultant
- • Help with course registration and payments to a partner institution
- • Follow-up after college/university program start
- • Support with any required documents from Tamwood
If you want to have housing arranged pre-departure for either the whole duration of your course or only the beginning, then you can book high-quality accommodation through Tamwood, view our price list here or get a quote by clicking the button at the bottom of this page.
- • Carefully screened, English-speaking homestay families
- • Fully furnished private rooms with either private or shared bathrooms
- • Three meal options: Full-Board (breakfast, lunch, and dinner), Half-Board (breakfast and dinner), No Meals
- • High-speed wireless internet and laundry facilities available
- • Fully furnished shared or private bedrooms
- • Shared or private bathrooms
- • Fully equipped kitchens
- • Self-catering
- • High-speed wireless internet in each room and common area
- • Laundry facilities on-site
- • Central locations
Tamwood offers exciting experiences outside the classroom to help you discover Canada. Enjoy fun activities in and around Vancouver, Whistler, and Toronto with your new friends from around the world. You’ll take part in social events, sports and activities, sightseeing, spectator sports, cultural experiences, shopping, and dining.
Students who want to improve their leadership skills can volunteer to become a Tamwood Ranger and help to lead Tamwood activities.